Sunday August 1 2021

 


Sunday August the 1st, 2021 -


The Blurb -

Even though I got in from work at around a quarter to six, I was lying in bed again until around 9am until I dropped off to sleep.


Waking at 3 o’clock in the afternoon, I made drinks for myself and Louise, did the online social network checks, saw that my latest episode of Pods Like Us had automatically come out when I planned it to, and finished the previous blog post before writing this up to here. Hey up 👋 




Started work at 5pm. 


Had an alarm activation where I was met by five or six police vehicles, but the alarm had been set off by someone going somewhere who was  authorised to be there, but not where they went. 


So far through the night I was enjoying the “prog band” related podcasts that I added an episode of the Yes Music Podcast to the proceedings, because I’m supposed to be doing it for myself more than anything else, and it’s been too long since I least listened to an episode of that show about a band I love. So there, lol! 




The same went for me seeing that Bobby had released an episode of The Rock Guys as well, so I had to listen to that, as well as an episode of When They Was Fab, because Ed released two episodes at the same time.


The group chat show with Bobby & Matty came out.  Another group chat has been arranged for this Wednesday, but I’ve offered that to Gill as a potential episode of The Mindbuzz!




The ‘Casts -


Binge Bros - [the last four minutes] finishing off the chat about Harry Potter, and then the finish.


Something For Nothing - episode 28: Lex started with the bass line to Stick It Out again. the second part of the guys looking at Counterparts. First up they look at the cover artwork. Twitter polls. Song six is Alien Shore. Song seven is The Speed Of Love. Jeremih jerry says but he doesn’t actually know what the song is about. I wonder if it’s about the fact that the speed that people fall in love with each other, and by this I mean love and not the alternative, is something that’s different for each person, and love happens when it happens? Song eight is Double Agent where one section sees Alex (?) doing his best Rob Zombie voice. That’s one hell of a riff. “It’s kind of schizophrenic for them“ - that’s one think I love about it! Oh, that voice is Geddy as well. Song nine is the instrumental Leave That Thing Alone. Song ten is Cold Fire. “Complex”. The eleventh and final song is Everyday Glory. I disagree with Gerry about this album. I see it as Rush beginning a renaissance, because this would show the way that Rush would go from here. They then discuss concerts they both went to during the ensuing tour, and Rush band members’ memories of the tour. 


Frame By Frame: An Analysis of King Crimson: Ryan & Avery are looking at the opening title song of Lark’s Tongue In Aspic. Starts with how the band got to the album being made, and then the story of the album, alongside their opinions on this classic KC album. The story about the rejected Mel Collins song and the previous line-up being forced to tour. Michael Giles and Bill Bruford were fans of each other. Jamie Muir and Bill Bruford - “figure it out!” John Wetton enters the band. I agree with Ryan that the best album by Family is Bandstand. David Cross rehearsing with the band Waves at an EG records rehearsal space, and EG’s management took Fripp to a Waves band audition, and Fripp loved David Cross, even though EG didn’t sign Waves. Recorded in January & February of 1973, and release in March - that’s a bloody quick turnaround! I’ve wondered before if The Inner Mounting Flame by Mahavishnu Orchestra was an influence on Robert Fripp looking for a violinist. An analogy of mine about this title song going from Ryan saying that Close To The Edge was like Beethoven, so my response is that because of the off kilter nature of Larks Tongue Pt 1 is like Stockhausen? Different live versions of the song by different line ups. How many tangents?!?! Very interesting discussion about Yes towards the end, as Larks Tongue is the first album to feature Bill Bruford on drums, who he left Yes to join. 


Tabletop Genesis - Mike, Ellie, Simon, Stacey & Tom are looking at the Genesis album We Can’t Dance. First up they say that the album was too long and discuss what’s they would have had on there. It’s a great point that you can’t tell where side one finishes and side two starts. It’s bloated. Song one is No Son Of Mine. To me this is like Son of Mama! “Elephant chord”. Song two is Jesus He Knows Me. Genesis version of reggae in the middle eight. Song three is Driving The Last Spike, not just my favourite song on the album, but one of my favourite songs by Genesis altogether! Quite possibly the best lyrics that Phil has written in my opinion. Song four is I Can’t Dance. This is a song that shows the band’s sense of humour. Song five is Never A Time. Like Mike, there’s much is this song is okay, it is one that I would possibly have not had on the album.  Song six is Dreaming While You Sleep. I agree with Simon and Stacey, because when I listen to this song reminds me of the sort of thing that Peter Gabriel was doing as well. Song seven is Tell Me Why. The return of the twelve string guitar from back in the day, but sounding very Byrds-y. Pretty standard structure. I’d possibly have kept it on the album because it’s more upbeat than a lot of the other songs. Song eight is Living Forever. Song nine is the Tony song Hold On My Heart. I’d take this off the album. Pretty but hmm. When I’ve seen people moan about this song online, I have pointed out about those great chords from Tony, but I just find that the song is sort of meandering and, yeah. Song ten is Way Of The World. Song eleven is Since I Lost You. I sort of remember something along the lines of the subject that this is about, but for some reason I’d completely forgotten that this song is about Eric Clapton’s feelings about his son’s death. Song twelve is Fading Lights. Lovely vocal by Phil. More drum machine to real drums action. Simon mentions Losing It by Rush. “This is the last Genesis song!” “This era’s cinema show.” I have to agree with the what the saying, that keyboard solo is like a return to the classic Tony Banks keyboard solos from years previous. That is awesome! I think that Tom got emotional. Oh no, Tom’s father died a couple of weeks before the album came out, and he was a Genesis fan as well, and the song has always brought home to him about his dad. I’m sorry that you lost your dad at such a young age Tom :’( how cool is it that they performed this live as just the three of them. Other songs recorded that were not included on the album... Hearts On Fire. That’s interesting what Mike said, because I thought that his vocal sounded a bit like that strange vocal that you did on illegal alien. On The Shoreline - damn good song! Favourite tracks. Album art. 




Yes Music Podcast - episode 493: Mark & Kevin are discussing the fallout about the new album The Ice Bridge. Apparently the song has been called out for being an exact replica musically to another piece from the 1970s by a another artist. The piece was called dawn of a new era by Francis Monkton. Quite a story that involves Gerry Anderson! 


The Rock Guys - Bobby is sitting down to eat some Cherry Pie, and talk about the band Warrant. Black Corvette not a little red corvette. Guitarist questions. Oh, a connection to the previous episode. Bobby knows his shit! Another piano break for a death. “Bro code!” CC Deville from Poison played guitar. 


When They Was Fab - First up Ed & Jon with guest Kit O’Toole talk about the new video for the Beck remix of Paul McCartney’s song Find My Way. Where does holographic technology end? After this they go into part three of the six-part documentary McCartney 321. 


The Corona Diaries - chapter 65 July 26 2021: Steve got bored at a beach after driving for two and a half hours to get there, and the  all of the way back after a couple of hours. “Very nesh for a Scandinavian!” Luis Jardim uses “the dark arts” of percussion. Castle Records. Women were born to have the moral high ground. Chris Rea’s Saw Mill Studios for a solo album while on hiatus. Tangerine Dream, Vienna Boys Choir. Both Steve H & Steve R made solo albums during the hiatus in 1996. Tina Weymouth & Chris Frantz nearly played on H’s solo album. Ant provides the ingredients and hopes for cake at the end. Diary - H being reminded that the band have less sales with him as singer than before. It’s still great music, Steve! Cleveland, New Jersey. Living For The City. Chicken burgers. Neil Armstrong’s son Rick. Then Ant asks Steve questions based on the diary reading. Exploding cushion. Talcum powder and gaffa tape with a solid chastity belt that “chafed a bit”. Ant’s hammock? Hawaiian Tropic. His crooncast hahaha 🤣 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Pod Files - Monday May 29 2023

The Pod News - Thursday 16 February 2024

The Pod Files - Sunday 5 November 2023