Cake, calls, and ‘casts



Monday November 30th 2020

My last post saw us into the late night of my birthday, and it saw me as my wondering inquisitive self, with my brain that never stops thinking about stuff.

Friday was the second day of Marvmas, the day after my 50th birthday!  I know, we’ve talked about the fifty-ness already! I’m constantly surprised that I reached it.

I went out to the bank to put some cheques into my account that I had as gifts from people - thank you 😊

I couldn’t believe that there were so many people out and about while we’re on a country wide lockdown. It was ridiculous, especially with so many of the shops in the town centre closed. 

Going to work on Saturday evening was bad as well, which found me waiting for around ten minutes to cross the road, because of so much traffic on the road! Where were they going?

It’s completely different to the lockdown earlier in the year, and I have a theory that that has to do with the oncoming Christmas shopping, where the government want people to spend money, so they’re not as strong lockdown rules as they were then! 

It’s about money above health.

We were still eating the delicious carrot cake that Louise had made for my birthday on the Thursday into Saturday. We would usually go to Louise’s parents for our birthdays, and share cake with them, but with the whole lockdown business, that’s not possible!

Friday afternoon I heard about the passing of my friend Ryan Brady, who was the Vice President of Atlantic Records, as well as co-host of the podcasts Take It Away and Now Hear This. I say friend, but I only knew him online and through those podcasts really, but we had chatted through emails and such, including organising a future appearance for himself and the co-hosts of his two shows on my own show.

We won’t go into the terrible circumstances of how he died here, but a lot of us who knew him in any way all acknowledge how lovely a guy he was.

On Friday evening I recorded a show over Zoom, which was basically an open chat between myself, Jennifer Longworth (fellow FAWM songwriting challenge participant and producer/editor for Bourbon Barrel Podcasting), and Kit O’Toole from the show Talk More Talk, who also wrote great books about The Beatles and Michael Jackson. 

Before Jen & Kit showed up on the Zoom call, I started the call purposely early, and used the time to record a little bit about people who had left reviews.

After the great show, I stayed on the call to record a tribute to Ryan, that I tagged in before the opening music, which I just improvised. 

Saturday I got up late, because I stayed up all of Friday night until about 7 in the morning to edit that chat show together ready for coming out on the Sunday night.

My laptop constantly plays up by switching off without warning, and it did it constantly while editing the show, which meant that it took longer than it would if I had a non-dicky machine. One day I’ll rectify that!

Back to work for Saturday and Sunday nights, catching up with my podcast listening in the work van, and there were some call outs at work to respond to, including three people getting into a building site that was so far away that when I got there with two police vehicles joining me (4 officers), the people had already left - no more details for data protection purposes!

Now it’s Monday. I finished work late Sunday night/Monday morning, and woke up late afternoon. I got to bed about 8:30am, and woke up at 4, which I hope shows a change as I’ve not slept well since the whole Covid-19 thing started!

Back to work in a bit.

Take care and stay safe.

Links to my podcast;


Listen notes


Spotify


Stitcher


Apple Music


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Pod Files - Monday May 29 2023

The Pod News - Thursday 16 February 2024

The Pod Files - Sunday 5 November 2023