Podestra

 


Monday January the 18th 2021


Woke up to over 80 messages in the family Facebook thread about mum. Still worrying until a professional goes in to see how she is.


Lots of discussion between me and Louise about the situation, whilst constantly responding to the continuing messenger chat.


The shift was steady, although I wasn’t really feeling like it. 


Podcast listening -


The Gerry Anderson Podcast - carried on with the same episode as the previous night. Chris Dale mentioned during the randomiser that the episode of Space Precinct he was watching was written by Hans Beimler, who wrote many Star Trek episodes including the fabulous Far Beyond The Stars, as well as writing for Fame, Star Trek The Next Generation, Tekwar, The Twilight Zone, The Dresden Files, and more! 


Robby The Robot’s Waiting - another episode in my catch-up. Joined this time by Tara Bennett from SFX.  They’re doing a review of 2020 in this episode.

Keeping Up With The Cardassians - a bonus news episode from October 2020. Possibly new episodes of Star Trek Deep Space Nine. Recently something else has been in the rumour mill with reference to this, where the talk is of a Sisko centric show. I’d prefer new DS9 episodes personally! 


Adam & Craig’s Guilty Pleasure Cinema - I listened to the episode where they talked about the film Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story, which is obviously a film that uses a lot of poetic licence in an attempt at a biopic of the great Bruce Lee himself.  The film was directed by the first Fast & The Furious “pizza boy” director, Rob Cohen, and started the unrelated Jason Scott Lee. I love the way that they compare what’s said in the film to what really happened!


Tabletop Genesis - the team talk about the self-titled 1983 album that featured the hit singles Mama, That’s All and Illegal Alien, as well as the great deep cuts Home By The Sea (both parts, which should have just been a single song damn it), Silver Rainbow & It’s Just A Job To Do. I’ll go out on a limb here and say that “Taking It All Too Hard” is a better song than “That’s All”, and does a better job with the sentiment they had on their later 1986 single In Too Deep! 


So, Disney+ are adding a service called
“Star” to house programmes for older
viewers. I think that Moon Knight &
Deadpool will turn up on there!

Robby The Robot’s Waiting 
- I agree with their general consensus of Soul being a great film. I’ve not seen The Midnight Sky, and have wondered before whether I want to see it or not! Someone mentioned Star Trek Picard in a message to the show, which I thought was a show that dragged the story out, a bit like all of Heroes post-season one! They did a deep dive into the Terry Pratchett book Night Watch. In the news section they mentioned about DC being better with the tv side than films because of it letting stories build. That’s why I think that the X-Men universe would be better in a TV format, because of the amount of characters, and the depth of the stories they have.

Reelblend - I feel bad that I’m only just listening to this episode of one of my absolute “must listen” shows! Most anticipated Marvel project for 2021? I can’t remember how I chose between Wandavision, Loki, Eternals, or other, but now I’m sort of interested in seeing how the MCU looks at the forthcoming Shang Chi film considering it’s questionable comic incarnation in racial terms! Cool interview with actor Yahya Abdul-Mateen II from the film Trial Of The Chicago Seven. This is another episode where a regular presenter was out of commission for the show, so show producer Gabe Kovacs was covering for erstwhile Kevin McCarthy.


Finished my shift around 52 minutes in to this with about 47 minutes remaining. That will make me an episode behind when I’m back on Thursday! 


Take care and stay safe 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Pod Files - Monday May 29 2023

The Pod News - Thursday 16 February 2024

The Pod Files - Sunday 5 November 2023