Monday April 20th 2021

 

Hey up! 👋 

Monday April 19th 2021 -

The blurb -

Got in late from work at about seven in the morning for the 5:30am finish shift. 


I woke up at about 3 in the afternoon, and watched some baseball catch-up on MLB, as well as some YouTube bits. I also sorted out the monster of a blog post about Sunday, which took a while.


Started work at 7pm, but didn’t start listening to anything until around 9pm. Busy at the beginning with little bits and bobs, mainly phone based.


It was a relatively easy going shift, but I’m still lethargic and tired, and need to sort THAT PROBLEM out. 


I’ll say that I went in the night in a fashion, and leave it there. 




The ‘casts -

The Corona Diaries - episode 50. No sign of Steve “H” Hogarth, but instead Ant is chatting with Steve’s sisters Gilly & Sue. Starts with the fun of discussing the family trivia game. Ant’s getting the truth about the early years of HGilly’s imaginary dog, four pound piano, Let It Be, Fool On The Hill (his gran singing along with the wrong words). Steve’s first record player and Sue listening with their dad at Steve singing before they knocked on the door to go in. H going out wearing his sister’s blouses and jackets, alongside a floor length trench coat. Diary - hair brush, chess, bangles and beads. Begging no tears. Bastard son of the Empire State Building and a Pagoda. Poland - “same as the old boss!” Steve Rothery was in the US watching the band Enchant (I own that album on CD), whose most recent album Steve R had produced. “Bum like a balloon!” Eight hours for cargo lorries to get into Poland and 18 to get out! Day off in Eindhoven. Naked swimming. Post diary chat was talking over what Gilly and Sue had said earlier in the show that he wasn’t a part of. I want the TCD version of the Commando Magazine! Nice call back to his first piano mentioned that involves a music video. #DoingTheFlounce Dave Hillhaircut. Crooncast at the end thanking people for subscriptions. Loving this alternative format, Ant! 👍🏻 🎶 🎹 💬 


Grumble Goat - Hosted again by Mat & Veronique, this time it’s Veronique moaning about there being a different thing for every day such as “grandparent’s day”, etc. There are so many of them. I don’t know if we have that crap in the UK. Siblings Day - I wish them a happy birthday each year! Then there’s Black FridayNational Milk DayNational Nothing Day (Jan 16th). What the hell! For the US, April 12 was the start of RamadanNational Grilled Cheese Day, & End of Confederacy Day. There’s a National Ex-Spouse Day! 🐐 😡 


No Fear Finance - 17th April. Sara Desantis presenting. Hidden costs you may not realise about owning your own home. PMI, closing costs, etc. 💰 🏦 💵 💴 


Adam & Craig’s Guilty Pleasure Cinema- Q&A 2. First up is talking about socially distanced rugby playing. Then there is their individual favourite episode from this season. I’m waiting to see if Adam sidesteps the question that I sent in as he tried to do in their appearance on Pods Like Us. Great shout outs for what Craig’s looking forward to seeing when it comes out. Would people be less open now if films such as Star Wars were released now, where they finish with threads unresolved? Is Nicolas Cage a good actor occasionally in bad films or a make do actor occasionally in good films? Question from the Spyhards guys Scott & Cam. Wow, Craig has watched Timecop! Oscar award for best guilty pleasure actor? Henson or Henderson? What film would you rewrite that’s not been on the show? Favourite Marvel villain and marvel film? Question from me about what makes a film a guilty pleasure, and is a film like Predator a great film or a guilty pleasure? Craig’s answer - lol 😂 cracking answer from Adam! There was actually no mid-credits sequence! 🎥 🍿 🔫 


No Fear Finance - 19th April. Sara Desantis explains what a credit score is, and how it is created. I’m probably too old to listen to this as it’s actually for young adults. 💰 🏦 



Comicbook Nation - Kofi OutlawMatt AguilarJanell Wheeler & Logan Moore Guest is the great comic book creator Robert Kirkman to talk about the Amazon Prime show Invincible. I want to see Rick Grimesfighting aliens with a lightsaber! Logan leaves after this interview, to be replaced by Connor Casey. Trailer for Zack Snyder’s film Army Of The Dead. Talk about the fourth episode of The Falcon and The Winter SoldierMatt looking at the comic Batman: Dark DetectiveMatt then interviews DeadpoolBlack Widow and Captain Marvel writer  Kelly Thompson. Very busy wrestling time for Connor to be reporting on (Wrestlemania, NXT). Connor always makes Matt laugh when he calls him “Matthew”! 📖 📺 🎥 🤼‍♂️  


Spyhards - Scott & Cam looking at the first official Bond film Dr No. Terence Young was the perfect director for the first film, who informed who Bond was from what he was like. The bikini scene in the film was naked in the book! Eunace Grayson & Lois Maxwell switched roles because Lois Maxwell felt awkward about the scene at Bond’s apartment where the character Sylvia Trench was wearing one of Bond’s shirts and seemingly nothing else, playing golf. Great that they point out that she announces herself as “Trench, Sylvia Trench” making him respond as “Bond, James Bond!” Very different characterisation of Honey Ryder from the book version. A scene is mentioned with Honey Ryder (Ursula Andress) that I had missed. “Give me some coffee and half an hour!” 😂 “I would take poo!” That aside is all true by the way, Cam. Scorpions can sting themselves from madness in too much heat, and Praying Mantis females do indeed eat their males after sex! Advert from Lorraine at Once Upon A Nightmare. 🕵️  🔫 


The Mindbuzz - Gill with guests James from Baystaters and People Fighting Pandemics, and Shakeed, who is also from People Fighting Pandemics. Spanish Flu in 1918 actually came from the US, and not Spain. It killed a fifth of the world’s population! “Cowspiracy”. There are so many disgusting things in the food industry mentioned in this show! Gill being told to not mention his veganism in family get togethers as a kid. Gill’s friend. Wow. Instagram - @fightpandemics 🧠 


Watchlist - Tom & Ben. Tom’s friend suggested that all the good podcasts have hosts that get more drunk as they go. Ben talks business saying that television builds in quarters two and three of the year. They then mention Mare Of East Town. Tom sounds professional when he says “it’s gonna be a week by week drop” on Monday’s. New season of This Time With Alan Partridge on April 30th. Ben mentions that High Fidelity season two needs to be put onto starzplay. New series Starstruck on the BBC. Ben has seen the pilot for the show The Nevers, which is already on HBO Max in the US, and is coming to Sky/Now in the UK in May. Why You Like This on Netflix. The Underground Railroad coming on May 14th to Amazon Prime. Apple TV show Calls - #AllTheGearAndNoIdea Rosario Dawson, Pedro Pascal, et cetera. What the hell? It’s like those podcast ads on Instagram where it’s the podcast logo with a moving waveform and dialogue for the entire episode! TV series version of The Mosquito Coast is apparently good with Melissa George and Guy Pearce? I hope I remembered that correctly? I couldn’t shout a note to Siri as I was at a busy junction at the time! 📺 🎥 🍿 



My player at one point started playing a bonus episode of Bad Counsel where they have Gill from The Mindbuzz as a guest, and I’m looking forward to that one, especially with the intro that I spotted which I’m sure is a nod to me. Thanks guys.


Take care and stay safe.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Pod Files - Friday 26 September 2025

The Pod Files - Monday 5 January 2025

49 to 50