Monday May 17 2021

 


Monday May 17th 2021 - 

The blurb -

Got to bed a little after eight, and was awoken at half past eleven by the doorbell.


I got dressed and went downstairs...


No one there, but I did see the landlord down the road and thought “I bet it’s him!”


He’s irritating in that he usually likes to just show up without any warning whatsoever. They’re not supposed to do that, but are actually supposed to let you know beforehand that they are coming around.


I made sure that they didn’t see me, went back in, and it took me over an hour to get back to sleep.  Thanks Eddie!


I woke up with the alarm at four o’clock, at which point I got the previous blog post sorted.


About 40 minutes into the shift at work I decided I would listen to some music, because commenting on podcasts seems to be slowing me down at work.


First up was the derided third album by Rush, Caress Of Steel. 


I got in for around half past eight, and in bed a little after half past nine in the morning. EDIT - it was after ten o’clock. I typed all of this up before I went to bed!



Some pictures I took from a special comicbook
from Marvel to celebrate the fortieth anniversary 
of Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back.


Monday May 17th 2021 -

The ‘casts -

Robby The Robot’s Waiting - bonus episode about The Falcon & The Winter Soldier. In the introduction Rich Edwards says the word “natter”, which I was asked about once in an episode I saw of my show by Americans not knowing the word! It’s another word for “chat”! Issues - racial, political, etc. Sharon Carter - I hated the change of her character in the series! I personally thought that the show dragged! “Crap-tain America!” “It was Sharon all along!”


When They Was Fab - May 17 2021: Plastic Ono Band deluxe set, part two. Ed & Jon. Hold On - Klaus playing bass chords. “Cookie!” was based on Cookie Monster from Sesame Street. Ringo copied it for Early 1970. Working Class Hero - a song about the working classes from the only middle class member of The Beatles. Isolation - a song that resonates with the past year! One of my favourites from the album. “John split The Beatles up, so it’s sort of an enforced isolation!” Good point that the heavier songs are on side one, and it gets a little lighter on side two. John & Yoko watching the Let It Be film for the first time. The next song is the beautiful song Love. After that there’s the very open song Well Well Well, which is apparently about oral sex. Look At Me - I think that was the demo recording from the White Album demos? The last song on the album is God, which is more about acceptance and moving on as opposed to being negative. Nina Simone’s response song to Revolution. After all this there’s an uncredited song My Mummy’s Dead. CLICKY. https://www.instagram.com/p/CO_fykIpr_m/?utm_medium=copy_link


Nothing More Annoying - episode 11 May 13th 2021: stereotypical influencers. First up he gives back story to his show’s creation. People who are nothing but think they’re important. They make money from the companies for advertising their products online. 


Some pictures I took from a special comicbook
from Marvel to celebrate the fortieth anniversary 
of Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back.

No Fear Finance - Sara Desantis discussed this time about checking your credit score - where and how often. Fabulous advice in the is episode where checking your credit could make you realise things that you didn’t pick up on! 


Spyhards - special episode from November 2020 about the passing of Sean Connery. Their first memory of seeing Sean Connery. I think mine was possibly Diamonds Are Forever, which is probably why I like it more than a lot of people do. Cam has never seen the awesome Time Bandits! What did Cam think then? What would be in your Sean Connery watchlist? Cam talking about the fantastic film The Hill! I think I should watch Robin & Marian as well! 



This Week In Marvel - please note that these are just notes, and not a full write up on everything! Ryan & Lorraine presenting. Lorraine does the British Kitty In The City thing again - oh dear! Black Widow and Loki have new posters. Kang The Conqueror issue one coming as a comic. Ryan asks “Who rocks the best thigh high look?” Marvel’s Voices Identity No.1. “Shocking murder at the Hellfire Gala!” John Romita Jr returning in August. Venom Let There Be Carnage trailer. Marvel’s Modok on Hulu in the US and Star/Disney+ elsewhere. Interview with Justin A Reynolds, writer of Miles Morales: Shockwaves. Like Justin & Ryan, I’ve also bought a lot of comics in a bag, with. I idea what I was getting. After the interview they look at feedback from listeners, including their choices for best non-Miles Morales character outside of Miles Morales? Closing with, erm, some sort of accent, but I’m not sure what accents they were going for? Lol. 


Xander & Stone - season 1 episode 6: The End Of The World pt 3. Featured song is Doomsday Clock by The Smashing Pumpkins. Jenna is being the Mystical Stone and Xander The Great Collector of Snow Globes and Stamps! Nuclear threat. Nuclear winter. 7000 nuclear weapons in the US alone. #SupportTheSarcasmMark Xander’s family history. Excerpt from an essay written by Stone’s sister. “We’re not gonna get sued!” Climate change. Terrorism. Epidemic. Asteroids. Cosmic rays that could silently kill us. Xander - “The silent ones are the ones you always have to be scared of”. Yes, just like farting? “If the date of your death was in an envelope would you look?” No! Great Jim Lovell quote. “Shitting on your own doorstep!” Aliens with nuclear bombs. Different religious opinions on doomsday. Bruce Willis drinking game that I can’t play in the work van. Bugger! Shout outs and outro. 


Watchlist - ep26: Ben & Tom. Not touching the subject of Israel/Palestine. The two of them met up in the week. General chit chat about their cafes and eateries, including two favourites that have closed down. They eventually get talking about their viewing and the what’s going on! Inside No 9, Motherland, This Time With Alan Partridge, Pursuit of Love, Mare Of East Town, “the East Town extended universe”. 


Snapshots - middle of the month episode about baseball. Blaine starts by talking about nicknames in baseball, which no longer seems to be a thing. “Sam” Rice was actually Edgar Rice. “Bid” McBrice. “Smokey” Joe Wood actually had Joe as a nickname as well! Babe Ruth was George Herman. 1. Jesse “The Crab” Burkett. 2. “Kid” Nichols. Baseball hall of fame at Cooperstown.


Yes Music Podcast - episode 481: Kevin & Mark. Listener’s feedback. News. Main subject- looking at a different song each from Yessongs, and comparing the songs on that great live album against later live versions. 1. Kevin - Long Distance Runaround (Yes Acoustic). 2. Mark - Close To The Edge (Yes Symphonica). Great point in that Yes were young and very improvisory, which became more exacting over the years. Outro thanks and credits. “Whatever your progressive rock question, the answer is Yes!” 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Pod Files - Friday 26 September 2025

The Pod Files - Monday 5 January 2025

49 to 50