Tuesday and Wednesday off

 


Tuesday May 24th, 2022 -


First day off, and I was still arranging a group chat recording for Wednesday night, with three people arranged for a chat about the history of the film industry, where it is now, and it’s potential future.


I saw this as a possibly interesting future, and was looking forward to it, in anticipation of releasing it as an episode this coming Sunday, as one of the between seasons bonus episodes.


Initial plans to do the weekly shop as soon as I got in from work in the morning went by the wayside, because I didn’t get in until twenty past nine in the morning. 


I eventually fell asleep after 11am, and woke up with my alarm clock at one - less than two hours later.


Why even bother? I’m like a dead man walking on a Tuesday with such little sleep. I think that I decided eventually to go out on my own to pick up a couple of bits maybe? I’m not sure. 


I got caught out by two people I wanted to chat with so much, and thought that because they are fellow Brits that arranging a chat on a Thursday at 3pm was a great idea. 


Somehow that meant that I had two recordings set up during this time off. 


I don’t actually remember what else…


Ooh, actually I went out and back our first take out since November, in the form of Fish and Chips, which Louise did some homemade mushy peas and curry sauce for. 


I did some podcast listening while I was out fetching the treat of fish and chips.


I think we watched a film, but can’t remember what it was. 




Wednesday  May 25th,  2022 - 


Wednesday saw us doing the weekly food shop, eventually.


We woke up at a fairly decent time of 8am, but felt terrible for some reason. Our heads were both off, and we decided to go try and go back to sleep, and see if we could sleep it off.


When we woke again at around 10am, we still didn’t feel great, but pushed through it. 


I had planned to surprise Louise by going to see Top Gun Maverick, but the banking app put pay to that idea.


I had put some fuel into the car the previous Friday (pay day), and only on Wednesday did it decide to place that transaction - five days later. So I didn’t have as much in the bank onWednesday afternoon as it had shown on the app in the morning.


Thank crikey I hadn’t booked it already! That’s how tight money is at present. Once a couple of loans are paid off, it should be a bit better. 


Avengers assembled on top of a cupboard
in the office/studio.

We watched something on the telly, but I can’t remember for the life of me what it was. My mind was on the recording at 9pm, which wasn’t going to plan.


It turned out that two guests couldn’t make it, so I was left with a one to one chat, and so created a regular episode, as opposed to the group chat I needed for release on the following Sunday (that’s obviously not coming out now). 


It ended up being a fun episode, although problematic technically. The guest kept going from room to room, with each having vastly differing connections to their WiFi. 


Great chat with Dylan and Kirsty on Thursday,
who do the great show Happy Distraction.


Thursday May 26th, 2020 -


The big thing about Thursday before work was another great episode recorded for season six, and a great fun chat it was with Kirsty and Dylan from Happy Distraction. 


Thursday night was a work night.


Rather than write a separate entry about Thursday at work, the big thing on my mind on Thursday was the passing of three people in the entertainment world.


Ray Liotta RIP


In the afternoon I heard of the passing of the actor Ray Liotta, at only 67 years of age. 


Such a great actor, who I particularly remember from his early role as Shoeless Joe Jackson in Field Of Dreams, where he was the first of the baseball playing ghosts to appear on the baseball field that Ray Kinsella (played by Kevin Costner) had built (if you build it, they will come).


Then I also saw Ray in the fabulous Goodfellas, and other films such Unlawful Entry and Revolver.  He was really good opposite Jennifer Lopez in the tv series Shades Of Blue as well.


Alan White RIP


Towards the beginning of the shift I heard about the passing of drummer Alan White.



Alan was a drummer for hire initially, particularly standing out on John Lennon’s song Instant Karma, and also having played for George Harrison (All Things Must Pass album sessions), The Alan Price Set, Gary Wright, Paul Kosoff (Backstreet Crawler), and others, before taking over the exiting Bill Bruford in Yes, a role he was soon to celebrate 50 years of doing.


He was such a great drummer, and incredibly creative. He was also a writer, often writing on piano, and he is the one who created that fabulous soundscape in the break of Owner Of A Lonely Heart, using samples on electronic drum pads.


Andy “Fletch” Fletcher


Last, but by no means least, late into the night I saw that Andy “Fletch” Fletcher has passed away at the age of 60, and that did shock me.


I’m 51 right now, and I’ll be 52 in November, so there isn’t long left for me on this mortal coil. I’ll leave that there.


“Fletch” was a member of the band Depeche Mode, who have been going since around 1980 I think, and made an incredible mark on the world of music.




A very often asked questions is “what does Fletch do?” Dave Gahan is the lead singer most of the time, and Martin Gore writes the majority of the songs, as well as playing keyboards and guitar. If you search though, you will find photos of Fletch playing bass guitar, which makes me think that his keyboard playing is perhaps more along the lines of keeping down the incredibly important bottom end. It’s an essential part of the music that they create. 


On the way home from work I listened to Going For The One by Yes, which is my favourite of their albums that feature Alan White on drums.


With time for my journey still left, I then started on my favourite Depeche Mode album, Music For The Masses, which I finished listening to on the way to work on Friday.


Rest in peace Ray Liotta, Alan White, and Fletch. Thank you for the great work that you all have left us with.




The ‘casts -

(Notes spoken to Siri, and edited later if I remember)


One Minute Movie Reviews - (0:02) May 12 2022: Mikey looks at the show Outer Range


Vintage Rock Pod - (0:06) May 24 2022: Paul gives reasons why “This Day Rocks” (That’s the name of these shorter episodes of the show by the way), looking at celebrity birthdays and events from this day in history. The main topic today is the last Fleetwood Mac concert to feature Peter Green. Paul discussed this with Maurice Bursztynski from the podcasts See Hear and Love That Album. 


The Daily Quiz Show - (0:05) May 24 2022: history 


Grumble Goat - May 9 2022: Mat hates trash at the door, when you take it outside and into the bin. “The chore isn’t done!” An ounce of lemon juice. Making a margarita. Watching old films. “Chicken nuggets!” 


This Goose Is Cooked - (0:08) episode 114: November 18 2021: We review the book "Knuffle Bunny Too a Case of Mistaken Identity" by Mo Willems.


Daily Dad Jokes - (0:07) May 24 2022: Fan episode. Ooh, a new logo! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Pod Files - Thursday 29 February 2024

The Pod Files - Sunday 5 November 2023

The Pod News - Thursday 16 February 2024