Time off

 

What I got up to -

Got in from work for around a quarter past nine in the morning on Tuesday, for what would be a tricky day. 

A friend I had worked with for a good few years had passed away a couple of weeks previously, and this was the day of his cremation. 

As he was a fan of Mansfield Town Football Club, who were ironically an ex-employer of mine, it was asked if we could wear one item that was yellow, to go with their blue and yellow team colours. I wore a deep yellow tie with a black Nicole Miller shirt, black trousers, black jacket, and black Clark’s shoes. 

I posted about his ability to make everyone at work feel better, which was true. Stephen Parkin had a great sense of humour, and as a work colleague, he was someone we knew we could rely on in any situation. 

After the cremation at Mansfield Crematorium, there was a get together at the Sir John Cockle in Mansfield, where I stayed for around an hour, and had a coffee. Why I didn’t have any of the great looking food, I don’t know! Perhaps it was my natural shyness coming out again? I only knew one other person there, who was another ex-work colleague. 

There was supposed to be a Pods Like Us recording in the evening, but instead that was postponed to the following day, and then postponed to next week, which will be my last chat show based PLU recording until mid to late June! 

I believe that we watched a film in the evening, but can’t remember what it was. I also can’t remember if I recorded an episode of When They Was Fab with Ed as well on Tuesday night? I don’t think so. 

I didn’t write a blogpost about the previous week off, but I did enjoy watching the Ang Lee directed Sense and Sensibility during that time off. 

I woke up later on the Wednesday than intended, which left less time that originally intended. 

As mentioned, the show postponed to 5pm didn’t happen, which I realised at 6pm after being sat in front of the HD camera for an hour. 

At 8pm I recorded a great chat with Kristen Hillaire-Glasgow about the superb show Rock ‘n’ Roll Survivors, where, for the main show,  she chats with Patti Quattro of the band Fanny, a rock band from the seventies, who were big in the US at the time. As I mentioned to Kristen, it’s interesting to me because in the U.K. her sister Suzi was a hugely popular solo artist. I compared listening to her show to my experience of watching Searching For Sugarman, where I felt compelled to follow the story, to find out what happened, as I had no prior knowledge of that situation either. 

At 11pm I finally recorded a chat with Jojo, who makes the wonderful Jojo’s Infinite Universe, and is also the widow of Jack from the podcast Bad Counsel, a show that I love, and I loved Jack as well, but not in the same way of course (duh). 

We had a great chat, where Jojo discussed her experience of looking after Jack in his illness, and after his passing. Not the same, but I mentioned the experience of my stepdad passing away many years ago now, and how there were similarities in some ways. 

I now have enough episodes to cover until the end of September! 

We watched another episode each of Gogglebox and Shogun, and I’m trying to remember what else we watched. 


The ‘casts -

(Notes spoken to Siri, and edited later if I remember

(Changed tactic now where starred dialogue denotes quoting from the show’s own notes


Give Me Away - Season 1 Trailer: 6 July 2021: *They call the spaceship that crashed in the Nevada desert "The Ghosthouse" because it screams—the screams of thousands of extraterrestrial political prisoners uploaded into its horrific mainframe. The only way to free them... is to transfer them into the bodies of humans willing to share their minds with an alien second consciousness. But who would volunteer for that? Graham Shapiro, divorced and adrift at age 50, is one of the first to raise his hand. Give Me Away follows Graham's journey into a world of radical hospitality, one which will touch everything—and everyone— in his life. Written by Mac Rogers and directed by Jordana Williams.


The Daily Poem - 29 June 2023: *Betrayal Within: A Dance of Deceit, Trust Shattered, and a Soul Set Free - Today's poem is about Distrust in the style of Warsan Shire.

Poems generated from OpenAl ChatGPT API with proprietary prompts.

This podcast is produced by Klassic Studios


Feedback with Earbuds - 15 June 2020: *This week's theme is: ‘Stories Across Asia.’ Here are the episodes chosen by Norm for this week's theme: Home on the Dot - ‘ HomeWork Machine’, Eat Drink Asia - ‘All About That Spam‘, Indian Noir - 

‘Indian Noir X Issue No. 2 - The Vase (Horror anthology)’, Inspired Money - ‘It Started with Music’, and Ants Under the Sun - ‘The Burned Tricycle’. 


THE Most influential People In history - 18 May 2023: Galileo - The Father of Modern Science


The Afternoon Tune - 11 February 2024: *Hello, nooners! On this episode of The Afternoon Tune, Josh with cohost Dusk review the Mark Wahlberg film ‘Arthur the King'. A movie based on a true story.


BBC More Or Less: Behind The Stats - 13 April 2024: *Tackling The Three-Body Problem - Netflix has a big new show named after and inspired by a classic problem in astrophysics,

'The Three Body Problem', where predicting the course and orbits of three or more celestial bodies proves near impossible. / But how faithful is the Netflix show - and original novel - to the actual physics? Dr Anna Lisa Varri from the University of Edinburgh explains what we can and can't say about the complex and beautiful motions of planets, stars and moons, and brings a dose of scientific facts to science fiction.



Daily Tips That May or May Not Help You with Arielle and Ned - 16 April 2024: A Tip For...Clean Floors


Breaker Whiskey - 16 April 2024: One Hundred Ninety Two


Beyond The Mic - 13 February 2020: *Author Brooke Barker Goes Beyond The Mic - She hates needles, wants to eat ice cream in every state but is a plant killer. Co-Author of the book "Let's Be Weird Together" Brooke Barker goes Beyond the Mic with Sean Dillon.

I've had great interview opportunities over my 25+ year radio history that never made it to air. Some were due to length others were because of topic. I decided to flip the table on the rules. Any topic / guest is welcome, but you need to tell a story & must go "Beyond the Mic." It's another episode of Beyond the Mic with Sean Dillon.


Atlas Obscura - 15 April 2024: *Reppin’ our Weird Hometown Traditions - From Tractor Day to an Italian style wedding to the streets of New York City to throwing water into the air in negative 20 degree weather, we take a tour of some quirky hometown traditions. / Does the place you grew up have any unique traditions? We would love to hear from you!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Pod Files - Monday May 29 2023

The Pod News - Thursday 16 February 2024

The Pod Files - Sunday 5 November 2023